September 20, 2010
Delicious as they come and the kids can help you bake them.
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Premade pastry for an 8- or 9-inch 2 crust pie
- 4 small, cored baking apples
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Combine the raisins, cranberries, walnuts and spices in a bowl and set aside. On a lightly floured cloth-covered surface, roll out the pastry into a 14-inch square, then cut it into 4 squares. Place a cored apple on top of each square and fill the center with the raisin and cranberry mix.
- Cover each apple with its pastry square by bringing the opposite corners up over the fruit and pinching them together. Then, seal together all of the pastry edges, moistening them with water if needed. Place the dumplings in a glass baking dish.
- In a saucepan, bring the brown sugar and water to a boil, and then pour it over the dumplings (a parent’s job). Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven, spooning the syrup over the dumplings a few times, until the crust is golden (about 40 minutes).
- You might also like: